We’re not going to lie, there are a lot of ingredients listed on the side of a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese. But no matter what’s in there, one thing that should never be is shards of metal. Unfortunately someone at the Kraft factory didn’t get that memo, leading to the recall of a whopping 137,000 cases of its Velveeta brand microwavable shells & cheese products that could contain pieces of wire bristle.
“Kraft Foods Global, Inc. is voluntarily recalling three varieties of Velveeta Shells & Cheese Single Serve Microwaveable Cups with limited ‘best when used by’ dates as a precaution due to the possible presence of small, thin wire bristle pieces,” reads the official FDA recall page. The offending products being recalled are:
- UPC# 2100002322 – Velveeta Shells & Cheese Original Microwaveable Cups (2.39 oz) Best by: 16 MAY 2012
- UPC# 2100002339 – Velveeta Shells & Cheese Original Four Pack Microwaveable Cups (4 x 2.39 oz) Best by: 24 APR 2012 to 16 MAY 2012
- UPC# 2100002323 – Velveeta Shells & Cheese Made with 2% Milk Microwaveable Cups (2.19 oz) Best by: 25 MAR 2012 to 30 MAR 2012
- UPC# 2100002946 – Velveeta Shells & Cheese Made with 2% Milk Four Pack Microwaveable Cups (4 x 2.19 oz) Best by: 29 MAR 2012 to 12 APR 2012
- UPC# 2100002318 – Velveeta Rotini & Cheese Broccoli Microwaveable Cups (2.44 oz) Best by: 29 APR 2012 to 14 MAY 2012
So far there have been no consumer complaints or injuries reported from the products, but Kraft would like to keep it that way by issuing the voluntary recall. If you find yourself in possession of any of these aforementioned products, Kraft recommends that you return them to the store of purchase for an exchange or full refund or call Kraft Foods Consumer Relations Monday through Friday at 1-800-308-1841 for more details.