Chamberlain Farms just can’t catch a break. Late last month the Owensville, Indiana-based farm was decidedly linked to a pathogen outbreak when its cantaloupes tainted with Salmonella Typhimurium left more than 200 ill across three different states. That alone would be bad enough, but it’s not the end of the story. This week, the very same farm has issued a voluntary watermelon recall due to possible contamination with – what else? – Salmonella.
According to a press release issued by Schnucks grocery – a Missouri-based retail outlet where Chamberlain Farms watermelons were sold along with Logli and Hilander stores – the recall involves all watermelons distributed during this past growing season. But whereas the farm’s cantaloupes were contaminated with Salmonella Typhimurium, the watermelons may have been infected with another strain – in this case, Salmonella Newport. The press release also gives readers information on how to identify the offending watermelons and return them for refunds:
Schnucks stores in Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin and Iowa:
In Schnucks, Logli and Hilander stores (outside of Indiana,) these recalled watermelons can be identified by a sticker – “Indian Hills – Product of USA.” If you have product bearing that sticker please do not use. Return it to your store for a full refund.
Schnucks stores in Indiana:
Customers of the five Indiana Schnucks stores, where the product is delivered directly by the local grower will NOT see stickers. If your watermelon does not have a sticker, return it to your store for a full refund.
Considering the fate of Jensen Farms, who ended up filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the wake of the Listeria outbreak that stemmed from their cantaloupes, having two separate pathogens linked to your crops simultaneously may not bode well for Chamberlain Farms in the court of public opinion. On the other hand, neither of these recent outbreaks has been as devastating. With luck, Chamberlain Farms will be able to overcome this trying time and move forward from here.
[SOURCE: Food Safety News]